Title : A study to evaluate effectiveness of educational interventional programme on knowledge regarding Cord Blood Banking among Undergraduate Students of Health Science Institutions, Hubballi, Karnataka, India
Health is the most important aspect of life which needs to be maintained at any time in a person’s life at any cost. Health is not simply the absence of illness. Actual health is the will to overcome every form of adversity and use even the worst of circumstances as a springboard for new growth and development.
Stem cell research is one of the most important controversial topics of science today. The ability of stem cells to self- renew and give rise to subsequent generations with variable degrees of differentiation capacities, offers significant potential for generation of tissues that can potentially replace diseased and damaged areas in the body, with minimal risk of rejection and side effects.
The Cord blood is one of the richest and non controversial sources of stem cells. The blood that remains in the blood vessels of the placenta and the portion of the umbilical cord that remains attached to it, after a baby and the umbilical cord is cut, is called cord blood. Umbilical cord blood transplant is desirable and alternative therapeutic treatment with long term benefits used over the past years for both malignant and non-malignant hematologic and other diseases as an alternative therapy.
Cord blood banking is a major breakthrough in regenerative medical research. The scientists believe that research in this area holds promise for the treatment of many devastating disease of human kind. Hence, the discovery of stem cells has led to a revolution in modern medicine. Cord blood will play a growing role in both basic research and medical use in the future.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
“A study to evaluate effectiveness of educational interventional programme on knowledge regarding Cord Blood Banking among Undergraduate Students of Health Science Institutions, Hubballi, Karnataka, India.”
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY:
- To assess the level of knowledge regarding cord blood banking among Undergraduate students of Health Science Institutions.
- To evaluate an effectiveness of Educational interventional programme on knowledge regarding Cord Blood Banking among Undergraduate Students
- To find an association between prestest knowledge and their selected socio-demographic variables.
Research approach : Evaluative research approach.
Research design : Pre experimental: One group prestest post test design
Variables under Study:
Independent Variables : Educational interventional programme.
Dependent Variables:Knowledge regarding cord blood banking.
Setting of the study : conducted at selected Health Science Institutions, Hubballi.
Population : The population in the present study comprises of Students Studying at selected Health Science Institutions.
Sample Size : 100
Based on the findings of the study, the following conclusions were drawn:
- The study results revealed that, the knowledge of students regarding cord blood banking remains average.
- The study results revealed that, the educational interventional programme was effective in improving the knowledge of students regarding cord blood banking.
- The results revealed that there was no significant association between knowledge scores, and selected demographic variable.
The study concludes that educational interventional programme was effective to improve and update the knowledge of Students regarding Cord Blood Banking. There is a need to conduct more awareness programme, public talks and education on cord blood banking among students of health Sciences instituions.